We stand for the development of the waterfront.
And we’ve been onto it for over 7 years.
The Society “Waterfront Development” was founded in 2016, in Ķekava municipality.
In the beginning, it was inspired by two circles of founders: young people from the international INTERREG project www.kopnica.lv and their fellows who bring people’s sport and volunteering to life as methods of working with youth.
The second group of members – experts – promoted ideas about the need for more active safe waterfront development in Latvia, about educating the public about safety on the waters, about educating local governments on waterfront development opportunities, a new water tourism route and the development of water sports in Latvia. The new members of the Society are activists of the waterfront communities and they encourage the cooperation between municipalities.
The engine of our NGO “Waterfront Development” is expertise and certain egoism: we want to put the meaning and order in the things we know best – waterfront itself, communities that live by the waters. One also needs the satisfaction of volunteering with like-minded people. Indeed, sometimes you just have to do a job that needs to be done right there and now, and things start to change for the better. So do we too – educating by putting things in order. Let it become visible!
The four main priorities of the NGO “Ūdensmalu attīstībai” (Waterfronts Development) are public participation, waterfront communities, people’s sport, and youth initiatives.
History of the organization
- 2015 – 2016 – Foundation of the NGO “Ūdensmalu attīstībai”
- In 2017 and 2018, Latvian scale smoothwater rowing competition and opening of shores in the Sausā Daugava, near the delta of Ķekaviņa River
- In 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 6 LEADER projects, including the opening and improvement of two shores in Ķekava and the shore of Misa, in the village of Kažoki, eight partnership cooperation projects “Daugavabasmalas”
- In 2021 victory in Ķekava municipality Hackathon with the concept of development of the municipality’s waterfronts
- In 2021, the Hackathon Winner Prize of 2000 EUR was invested to develop river improvement sketch designs in cooperation with students and professors of the Latvian University of Agriculture.
- In 2021, a letter of intent was concluded with Ķekava municipality for the establishment of cooperation between the local governments of Olaine, Salaspils and Bauska for the development of significant waterfront projects.
- In 2021-2022, together with the municipality NGOs and communities, we worked to implement the concept of waterfront development into the Ķekava municipality Sports and Active Recreation Concept for period until 2027 as well as in the municipality development plans, action and investment strategy plans.
- In 2023, we will continue to promote the economic activity of Daugava River waterfront communities, which we started with the LEADER cooperation project “Daugavabasmalas” in 2018 and 2019 with the support of the Active Citizens Fund. In 2022, we have announced the idea of the Infohub of the Daugava River waterfront communities in the Latvian Historic Lands Ideas Competition announced by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia.